Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

quote:
Originally posted by Yardbird:
quote:
“Then why do you see the elbow behind the acromial plane in this photo of Nolan Ryan?”

Because Ryan is a traditional mechanic delivery pitcher.

High speed video shows that the elbows of ALL of Marshall's pitchers (at least the ones who throw "hard") go behind the acromial plane.

This is a bogus claim on Marshall's part, and his own video proves it.

quote:
Mr.Maddux whom is capable and has thrown 94 MPH cruises at 86 to 88 and has several Of the Marshall tenets, this particular mechanical flaw (scapular loading) is what brings him still to severe inflammation to where he has to take 4 days off to pitch again. I consider inflammation a gateway injury that my Marshall many tenet pitchers never get.

This is totally unsubstantiated.

Many major league starters could pitch with less rest, and have pitched with less rest, but choose not to.

quote:
Have you ever seen or understand a child’s x-ray of the rapidly growing throwing elbow epicondile you would not make this statement?

ALL of Marshall's high-level pitchers do the same thing. It's a natural product of throwing hard.

You could even argue that the way Marshall's guys do it is worse due to their high elbows.

quote:
Would it have to absolutely destroy everybody’s arm and shoulder to change your observation? Have you read the kinesiological explanation that Marshall gives for free? at his web site about this disadvantageous mechanical movement?

Yes, and it's at odds with videos of what his guys actually do.

He's selling Unobtainium.

quote:
Do you teach active Scapular loading?

No, but I'm not afraid if it happens.

quote:
How far along are you in understanding Marshall’s material, in part or all of it? I’m not sure if you have any experience with it at all physically or mentally?

I have watched all of his high speed footage and read all of his stuff.

quote:
He is keenly aware of full-length contractions, their effect on his mechanic and the traditional mechanic, remember he is a professor and has taught exercise phys. and kinesiology at the university level. He does NOT ask his pitchers to eliminate any full-length contractions. His mechanic actually involves this action all through the driveline unlike the traditional delivery where you end up loosing this separation after you plant you glove side foot and then turn over your arm so that it actually is going backward before it goes forward!

By rotating the hips with the shoulders, as he advises, you're taking the biggest and most important muscles in the body out of the throw.

The result is that Marshall's guys are arm throwers (with velocity problems as a result).