Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

*Deemax,

quote:
“I have commented at lengths on this subject. Hardly a "hit and run".”

I called you out on this before and you immediately answered some kids batting question
with great detail with more than one sentence and helped him unlike all the other posters were doing, it was a great read and you nailed it with great lengthy and important information but then you always go back to “one liners” just to stir the pot. I’ve seen more emoticons out of you than words. You’re better than that! I’ve seen it

quote:
“Baseless huh? when the ball crosses the plate the pitcher is facing 1b, and his glove is facing 2b.... This position could get a kid hurt real bad. Case Closed.”

Case reopened! The drop step position is the best possible position to be in with both your feet on the ground ready to sprint to bunts and protect your face from line drives.
If you had done your homework you would not make false statements about what Marshall teaches but I am getting used to it. I’m still leaving some room that you are doing it on propose and very a very clever man. I refuse to believe you do not understand what training video is used for?

For the record, Marshall teaches you to force couple your glove against the ball through your shoulders that leaves your glove between your cheek and shoulder and your
Ball arm out in front of your ball arm hip in the classic athletic “drop step position” feet, hips, shoulders and arms rotated 180 degrees.

I teach 175%

quote:
“If traditional pitchers threw as slow as Marshall’s, they might not get hurt either.”

Again making false statements with out physically knowing will always leave you with
the ability to remain the same and perpetuate the problem but then you may not care about youth arm health enough to go out of your way?

quote:
”I hope to see this kid pitch, maybe at Austin.”

Hope you do but I seriously doubt it!

quote:
“I wont make the drive though unless hes starting.”

You may only get to read about it then and you wont have any negative ammo to throw at everybody that has any merit. This does give you a good out.

quote:
“Dont try to convince me of this. I HAVE SEEN THIS KID THROW. He pitches with traditional mechanics.”

Who is trying to convince you of anything? What I say here goes on record unless the whole thread is deleted which is usually the case everywhere when discussing Marshall and I’ve been told it has already happened here to. I have no reason to tell tall tales and I doubt very much if you have seen any of my pitchers let alone recognizing Marshall top half mechanics with out the bottom half one with it, but I hope I’m wrong!

John YaYa,

quote:
“High speed video shows that the elbows of ALL of Marshall's pitchers (at least the ones who throw "hard") go behind the armorial plane.”

So you do believe they can throw hard? Which is it?
How would you possibly know? If you’re inexperienced with it physically your statements carry no validity. You are making the same training video mistake here!
Are you saying Marshall was OK with this flaw that he calls out as incorrect?

There is no acromial plane! Marshall’s term is Acromial line. If you were talking planes, it would be the “Coronal plane.” or “frontal”opposite the “Sagittal plane.”

quote:
”This is a bogus claim on Marshall's part, and his own video proves it.”

They do a lot better than you are portraying in these training videos and they also do not over rotate their hips!
Do you understand what the use of training video is for and why it is posted?

quote:
“This is totally unsubstantiated.”

I have personally witnessed it many times! If you don’t believe me ask Deemax his father scouted Maddux physically, He knows, he was probably there? Maddux was capable of high velocity.

quote:
”Many major league starters could pitch with less rest, and have pitched with less rest, but choose not to.”

4-6 days is the way it has collectively come down to because traditionally oriented pitchers can not withstand the injurious stress.

quote:
”You could even argue that the way Marshall's guys do it is worse due to their high elbows.”

Marshall praised Tim Lincecum for this very mechanic that you seem to perceive as worse?

quote:
“Yes, and it's at odds with videos of what his guys actually do.”

Are you parroting Marshall, these are training videos!! This is why he takes them!

quote:
“He's selling Unobtainium.”

The last time I heard this, it was uttered by Chris O’Leary, please don’t tell me you are O’Leary! If you are, you’re repeating yourself!?

quote:
“No, but I'm not afraid if it happens.”

Marshall wants the humerus to, after it arrive to driveline height (temple high)
Lock in straight with your acromial line (shoulder tips) with the inner elbow rising at initial forward force application. This action is what protects you shoulder in the beginning of your forward force.

quote:
“I have watched all of his high speed footage and read all of his stuff.”

Have you noticed a huge difference in the way the pitchers perform mechanics along the training timeline with the use of this training footage and has changed from year to year from entry traditional footage to progressional footage and yes you have picked out the flaws that they all have in some form, you should see what I go through with all the different entry ages and motor skill adaptability proficiency levels.

Have you tried any of it physically?

quote:
“By rotating the hips with the shoulders, as he advises, you're taking the biggest and most important muscles in the body out of the throw.”

This would be true if that is what he taught! He knows his motion lays out in a kinetic time line with no nexus lost as in the traditional motion. He is well aware that the hips go first and so on and so on.
All parts of the body are used from the toes to the fingers in order.

quote:
”The result is that Marshall's guys are arm throwers (with velocity problems as a result).”

Marshall guys do not come to a stop then throw which makes them full body throwers
Just like outfielders and deep infielders actually using that forward body motion.

As a result they attain powerful “pronation snap” that produces the strongest throw you can attain, just like javelin throwers (Lincecum is close! 40% Marshall tenets)). I have a senior this year who was raised with Marshall top half tenets and also full version for training topping out at 94 and in the past I have had over ten kids in the low 9’s but then you might not know this happens if you have not tested it yet or just blindly take someone else’s word who also has no physical experience with it.

Did you all catch the MLB channel last week with Bob Costas interviewing Yogi Berra and Don Larsen about his perfecto in the 56 World Series, they also showed the Kinescoped converted to video entire game. To my surprise! There was Larson pitching using a full crow step aggressive pitching motion (no leg lift) with an abnormally high traditional arm vectored top half. Larson states in the interview that he had made the change 5 games before the World Series against Boston because he was tired of his bad control; he discovered that he had greater accuracy and maintained his good fastball by just crow stepping. Yogi said he was then sneaky fast, What is nice to hear is back then Larson asked his pitching coach Jim Turner if he could bring it to the game and Turner replied “I don’t care what you do as long as your getting outs” So it took him 5 games to learn this new mechanic before he perfected it against Brooklyn in the World Series. Hmmm?
Last edited by Yardbird