Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

Yardbird,

You mentioned that a pitcher who has trained in the Marshall system at some point during his development pitched in the AFLAC game. Apparently he grades out at 300-400 on the MTS.

It would be great if you would name the pitcher, and list out the aspects of his mechanics which are in accordance with Marshall tenets, and those which are not. I can see no reason not to identify the pitcher; he certainly is a public figure in the world of baseball, he is in the top dozen or so pitchers of his age, and many people have seen him, and comment on him. There can't be the slightest question of his skill or success to date.

It would be useful to me personally. I have only moderate knowledge of pitching mechanics, and I am not willing to try to learn what Marshall means by terms like "driveline" and "total kinetic linkage" or "kinetic time line" and "nexus".

I'm not willing to put that effort in for two reasons.
  • The overwhelming majority of baseball people reject Marshall, so the odds of him being right aren't very high.
  • I know very little about kinesiology, and so it isn't easy for me to evaluate Marshall's ideas. However, he has also written about the trajectories of baseballs, which I do understand well. There is a defined lexicon available from physics and aerodynamics, but Marshall makes up new terms, redefines (or misunderstands) existing terms, and then strings all this together into a seemingly wrong explanation. Or perhaps I misunderstand him, because his nomenclature is non-standard. In any case, in order to read and try to understand his thoughts on pitching mechanics, I would need to invest perhaps a hundred hours. What if those thoughts are of the same quality as his writings on trajectories?

So I want to take the easy way. Please show me some of the Marshall tenets, using a high quality, successful pitcher. Perhaps I'll even be able to see the pitcher live at some point.

Of course, there is the likelihood that when you describe the pitcher as using motion A, somebody else will see motion B. That kind of disagreement happens frequently over in the hitting forum. I think that comes about because we can see body positions, but we can only guess at the muscular effort expended in reaching those positions, and because of the limitations of typical video. But so what? At present, this thread has videos of young kids whose mechanics are so unusual that nobody wants to analyze their mechanics.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove