Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

quote:
Marshallites continue to hang on one of the few examples of unorthodoxy that prevailed. It didn't take the Fosbury Flop forty years to catch on. Why? He demonstrated success.

I agree with RJM on this. Fosbury was successful. Not so with Marshallites yet. 40 years is a long time to wait.

quote:
Marshall may understand all the science. He may have perfected a way for pitchers to minimize injury. The problem is the techinique has not proved to be effective from a baseball success standpoint at the high end of the game. Therefore it's useless science.

Don't necessarily agree with this. I don't think Marshallites have been pitching long enough at a high enough level to demonstrate that their techniques are injury free yet. Tom Glavine pitched for, what, 18 or 20 years in the majors before he went on the DL. Some guys go 5, 10 yrs with no problem. I don't believe there have been any Marshall guys going long enough in a highly competitive environment to say that the techniques are foolproof. In theory, I am sure that is the case, but real life is a whole different thing.

Before Marshall himself is used as an example, he did NOT use his own current technique when he pitched. Maybe towards the end of his career he used a few of the precursors to his current tenents, but, he pretty much set his records using a traditional motion, then incorporated some of what he is teaching now into his delivery.

Speaking of that, why wouldn't he teach exactly what he was doing back then since it was so effective that he set his records? Obviously, he was doing something right - and he was not doing what he is now teaching.
Last edited by bballman