Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

http://www.youtube.com/user/fastbal95

Video for your viewing pleasure, courtesy of fastbal95 (aka: Joe Williams).

Yardbird, as I said before, Joe williams appears to spend his time posting video of Marshall pitchers and then ranting and raving at the people who make nasty comments about them. Reading through the verbal abuse that he deals out is amusing, but it is no substitute for dealing out good pitches from a mound....he appears to be all talk and no performance, a definite trademark of Marshall's students and coaches. Too bad about those dummies that run the Bridgeport BlueFish--you'd think they would have the sense to put their stand-out ace onto the regular season roster, wouldn't you. Gosh, there must be a baseball conspiracy against Mike Marshall!

The "85% Amazin' 12 yo" was indeed a reference to your 12 yo--the boy whose video clip shows one AB, ending on a strikeout. As said, average-looking velocity for a 12 yo (i.e., not low 70's as you claim, but rather looks to be in mid-50's) and nice movement on some of the pitches--but nothing out of the ordinary for a 12 yo who throws breaking pitches. I've seen better and worse--he looks real average in that department, too. At least he's not obviously shackled by these mechanics, yet, as Jeff Sparks, Joe "fastbal95" Williams, and Mike Farrenkopf appear to be. Topping out at mid 70's, as those guys did when pitching from a mound at ASMI, well, that's just not too hot...

On the basis of Glenn Fleisig's ASMI careful study of Marshall mechanics, I am concerned that your kid, and all other Marshall pitchers, may eventually suffer stress-related injuries to the elbow and/or shoulder. Just because Mike Marshall says his pitchers can never be injured doesn't make it true...most of them don't show enough control, even at their low velocity, to pitch competitively. Under those circumstances it may take some time for Marshall-related arm/shouder injuries to manifest. You should be concerned about this, Yardbird, after all, Dr. Fleisig is a highly respected biomechanist with outstanding research credentials--he is not a pompous flake on a mission to prove that he is the only person on Earth who knows anything about baseball pitching (i.e., like Marshall...get it?).