Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

The biggest thing with Lincecum's velocity is how his lower half propels his upper half. He is a freak of nature. How he can powerfully open his hips and still have his upper half and chest closed to the point that it is facing down the left center field line is ridiculous. Some guys just have that incredible flexibility between upper half and lower half (Tiger Woods in golf for example)

I try to look at everything with an open mind. I coach pitchers at the college level and am always looking for ways to get more out of guys while keeping safety on top of the list. We have developed a throwing program with alot of different ideas and viewpoints. Our pitchers were all healthy. I think pitching a baseball is a violent act and because it is a bit unnatural we are going to have injuries but I think we can do alot of preventative things to help avoid them.

Back to Marshall. I do think he gets a bad rap because he is trying like all of us to help guys. Again, I don't agree with his philosophy in total but I took alot from the pronation techniques he teaches. I think the traditional pitcher can learn alot from that. take Lincecum for instance. the way he pronates in that slow motion video is eye opening.

I think to try to go back and forth on selling the Marshall style is not going to be a productive discussion. While I do think it is a safer method, I don't think it will ever produce a consistent enough amount of people to reach the big league level if any ( I know all about Sparks and he was a bit of a hybrid, not complete Marshall while he was in the big leagues).

I do think that we can take alot from a pretty smart guy in Mike Marshall. Like I said I don't think his theories in whole will work but we can take alot of positives he has taught us including pronation. Again, he may be eccentric but he is out there trying to help young kids get better and though you don't have to agree with him, you have to respect and applaud his efforts.