Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

Cabbagedad,

quote:
“Saying this has nothing to do with right or wrong (in effect - you can keep doing it that way, but one way you get hurt and the other you don’t), frankly is just an insult to a person’s intelligence.”

Well, I believe in “doing no harm”. Asking fathers to train their boys with safe mechanics and explaining why in detail is easy, the decision then is left to the parents and most of the time the father says we will take our chances, see ya later. Then I see them years later and little Johnnie has had accumulative mechanical injuries and believe me I hear about all of them in our area, yet they will still press on with the injurious versions, go figure?
This is why Marshall says the fathers are incapable of protecting their boys so the mothers better get involved.
quote:
”I’ve seen several threads here where a parent of a HS player comes to HSBBweb looking for pitching/throwing advice and you chime in with info that eventually leads to the Marshall mechanics that you are preaching.

Yes as with the start of the Marshall thread that I started, remember most others here and at other sites have been totally deleted (conspiracy? No, just something else) do to personal squabbles elevating to name calling that I try to stay out of so the information can be shared. You have noticed that when others start in on the Marshall hate I move it over to the Marshall thread so not to ruin others threads.
quote:
If, as you say, all levels, LL to majors, balk at those mechanics, why would you want to put that player in that position.

To give children the best chance at learning how to throw from any position properly in that the Marshall full motion produces. The full Crowstep pitching mechanics are as close to an outfield throw that you can get. As they get older the acceptance then disruptions gets greater in of the Bottom half so we acquiesce and build in the hesitated leg lift by the time they reach 14 yo. The most important Top half remains intact although it is more difficult to maintain linear matches to the driveline (line between second and home running through the pitchers plate) with the hips and shoulders from the useless leg lift.
quote:
“to suggest they work hard toward a significant mechanics change only to be told it can’t be used?”

The Top half is retained the bottom half is modified.
quote:
I understand that you claim it to by non-injurious, but what good does that do if it can’t be used?

Would it be ethical of me to go back to where I was before, teaching accepted traditional mechanics, knowing the difference?

One day one of these kids who also have learned the bottom half mechanics also will be playing at a high level and be established. At this point just like Don Larson did 5 weeks before he threw his perfect game in the world series they will switch their mechanics to Crowstep if they choose. Long term professional pitchers end up with knee, hip and back serious problems later in life is the reason for the more powerful but non-injurious bottom half mechanics that everybody balks at. I have come to believe this change will only be given a chance from the top down, not the bottom up.
quote:
”It seems that you would first need to work things out with those establishments before implementing with the young players who hope to work their way up the baseball ladder.”

While there is still complaining by opposing coaches my youth (12 yo and down) pitchers perform the full Crowstep motion if the fathers are willing and lately that’s all of them because 2 of them recently signed in the first rounds of the NFL and MLB drafts.

I have tried to explain and then implement at the higher levels but All have balked in the past to the point where they will not even look at them or let them prove themselves in scrimmages, so we turn yellow and acquiesce with some sort of useless leg lift. I wish that some of the actual HS coaches like coach May would comment but they stay away from this issue like it was the plague and I’m sure they are not part of any conspiracy.
Last edited by Yardbird