Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

Yard,
I will explain why I am hesitant to implement these mechanics. this is honesty and not an attack for I appreciate your comments and research.
1. Many pitchers have used what you would consider standard mechanics for many years and have not had injuries. These pitchers have pitched many innings and have had long successful careers with these mechanics. One person's motion analysis may or may not have some validity to it but many other factors go into play other than pronation and crow hops and Marshall type mechanics.
2. I would never encourage my own son or players to use Marshall mechanics that can only be used from the mound. Many of our players play other positions and cannot use these mechanics from anywhere other than the mound, without causing nueromuscular confusion.
3. As I look at the Marshall website and watched his pick-offs, they are balks and are not permissable under high school rules. Which leaves me to wonder how these could be used without players running blind on the pitcher.
4. When studying the pitching motion, so much is brought up about the pronation of pitches. If you watch pitchers throw, they all pronate. If your reach your arms out in front of you, they naturally go to the palm down position. It is a natural position and nothing new. The exception may be the curve. When I looked and Dr. Marshall teaching it, I feel it would be very easy for the batter to pick it up as the arm angle is much different than his maxline fastball.
These are just some of my observations and I may not speak for others. I see nothing wrong with looking for a better way to do things and commend you for that.