Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall Pitching Motion"

"Leg lift is too low. Knee should come up until the upper leg is parallel to the ground."

This is by design. You can get to the plate faster, without losing significant velocity, by eliminating the leg lift. It also reduces the likelihood that pitchers will introduce horizontal movement into their motion and lower their arm slot.
Major leaguers do a similar thing when they use the slide step. For instance, see the third clip of Jason Urdiqez that is at the top of this thread...

- Jason Urdiquez Thread

"The break occurs too soon. The break should initiate when the knee starts down after leg lift is completed. The arm should not be fully extended on the way back. Rather, from the initiation of break, the forearm drops & then comes up in a circle to the high L position."

This is by design. Studies show that a longer arm swing is correlated with a lower incidence of shoulder pain. Also, some major leaguers like Freddy Garcia get their arm up very early...

- Pitcher Analysis - Freddy Garcia

"The arm & upper body are inverted during the forward delivery."

Not sure what this means. If you mean that my hips aren't leading my shoulders, then I agree. Chalk it up to lack of practice and advancing age (I'm 38).

"The hop after follow through is completed is unnecessary, and could be dangerous at HS levels and above. Hard to manuever when your feet are off the ground."

The hop was more of a product of the wet ground than by design. However, if you are to be a good fielder, you have to finish in a strong fielding position (e.g. square to the plate). If you finish with your head down, you're vulnerable to getting beaned. If you finish facing 1B, then you're vulnerable to a bunt down 3B.