Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall vs. House vs. Jaeger vs. whomever else is out there"

LHPMom -- Any chance our boys may have been at the same camps in Bethesda in recent years? My son is a 2011 over in NOVA.

Personally, I have come to grips with the fact that there are as many Pitching experts as there are Coaches, former Pitchers, former Catchers, groundskeepers, and arm chair pundits. Every Coach has their ideas on the right way to Pitch, and their philosophy will be the right one for their program. If you don't like their philosophy, don't sign up for the program, because they will not be changing their philosophy for your son.

There are lots of similarities between the many philosophies I have seen. They can all be typically tied back to some success someone had somewhere along the way. Many are tied to old myths that go back to the dawn of the game. Some tied to some new theory or research. The NPA has the greatest body of believable research for my money and experience.

We're trying to follow what seems to be sound advice. Do your homework. You have bought into the House/NPA biomechanics and research. When looking at programs, learn how their philosophy stacks up against the NPA philosophy and the stages of the NPA Biomechanics. Identify programs that follow a compatible philosophy, even if it goes by another name.

My son was at a college prospect camp this past summer where the host school is very NPA-like in philosophy. Coaches from a couple of other participating schools were clearly well out of step with the NPA approach. Other Coaches were saying and teaching things that were somewhere in between.

My son has become savvy enough to realize that if he really believes in what he is doing with the NPA approach, he can pretty well cross off the Coaches who were 180 degrees out of step with the NPA. Not the schools mind you. Because Coaches move, schools don't.

Sounds like we are at a similar stage in the process, so this may be the blind leading the blind; but this is the advice we have been given, and it certainly seems to make sense. Good luck to your aspiring Pitcher.
Last edited by southpaw_dad