Skip to main content

Reply to "Maturity and Deciding"

@Francis7 posted:

[Just making conversation here and this is not something personal.]

I've always thought it was too much to ask a 17 or 18 year old kid "What do you want to do with the rest of your life? What do you want to major in at college?" Most lack the maturity, knowledge and experience to make a good decision to such an important question.

Related to baseball and picking a college to play baseball, is it too much to expect a kid to make a good decision for the right reasons factoring in all the variables? Is that why so many kids end up transferring after freshman year?

And, yes...parents have a role and responsibility in providing counsel. But, if the kid isn't mature enough to factor in all the important parts of the decision do you expect them to be mature enough to listen to their parents for advice?

I do believe that some are not as mature as others at 17, 18.  Parents definetly have a responsibility to help make decisions. That's why in the beginning of the journey it's a great idea to sit down and discuss with them the process, about what your expectations are from him/her, your finances, that money doesn't grow on trees, etc.  It's also a good idea to make sure that YOU the parent has done their homework, which is why this site is important.

Most importantly, is that they understand that they aren't going to college to get a degree in baseball. Or to get drafted. I see too many folks get upset because their son didn't get to live out their dream of playing baseball.

Well there are PLENTY of ways that one can be involved in the world of baseball. 

It's ok if they are not aware of what they want to get their degree in, they probably will at some point during their first year.  Funny, the last thing that I ever thought that son wanted to do was be a coach!