Skip to main content

Reply to "Maturity and Deciding"

@K9 posted:

Not sure how we can expect that 18 year olds are adult when their frontal lobes don't finish maturing until their mid twenties.  Early maturity is treated as a virtue when it is probably just a result of physiological variance.

There was no way in hell my kids were going to stay home and be coddled until their mid twenties. They didn’t need to be mid twenties with full frontal lobe development to start making good decisions and support themselves. If I thought they were making a bad decision I commented. But I never made the decision for them. They were on their own at twenty-two and twenty-three. People can learn from their mistakes.

I have one who is just starting to realize at twenty-seven his farts don’t smell like perfume. When the older one comments I remind her she was once the same way. Keep ‘em humble. 

i was the same way. I thought I was all grown up and mature when I was supporting myself at twenty-two out of college. Looking back I was an inexperienced moron with a cocky attitude. I at least had the common sense to work hard and succeed. It took a girlfriend’s father to inform me if I died tomorrow outside some upset relatives and friends the world would keep right on rolling without me. It took me down a few pegs.

Last edited by RJM