Skip to main content

Reply to "MaxPreps"

Originally Posted by Catcherdad:

…A Scout said they look at a player's form, etc (what they see themselves) during HS more than HS stats from MP, GC, etc, as said above those are as 'good' as whoever inputs them. 

Some HS fields are pool table smooth, others look like gopher-hole territory (a ball right at you takes a wacky hop off those for 'hits', rare to see poor fields at the next level), for this scout at least, he values travel stats more highly, better fields, better competition, etc. Above all, he said he watches how a player gets ready, his approach, tracking balls, charging balls, many things not found on a stat chart will tell him who is a ballplayer.

Its pretty amazing that any scout is ignorant enough to value one set of stats over another when its very likely the quality of the scorer is no different, and in fact might be the same person scoring at both. Also, I haven’t got a clue why a scout would worry a lot about the field condition. In fact, if anything I’d think a player excelling on a poor field wild be more valuable than one excelling on a great field.

I can certainly understand why all those things you listed at the end were considered very important. But if you want to believe all those things are done for every HS player in the country, you’re sadly mistaken. Something has to draw the attention of any scout. They don’t just randomly wander around the countryside looking for baseball games to watch.