Skip to main content

Reply to "May of Junior year + sudden injury = Post Grad year / re-class & many questions (pls help! 😳)"

First, if you haven’t already, please read @PTWood reply several times. Great information in there.
Second, your son’s SAT score is a huge bonus. Did he have any contact with Ivy or Patriot League schools before the injury? I think those schools would be more likely to keep in touch during the recovery process than most.
Third, it sounds like baseball is definitely a priority for your son. I could imagine him getting back to hitting form around this time next year. He could visit jucos and tryout that late in the year. I know you won’t rush the recovery process, but it’s realistic to think he would be ready to play a fall season of juco in 2022 (probably 1B or DH). In my limited experience, if he shows up in the fall and hits bombs, he’ll get playing time at most of the jucos in the Northeast. Harford CC in MD comes to mind. They are all about hitting, and they don’t seem to mind moving guys to 4 year colleges after just one year. He could build a nice resume at a place like that. It would also be a much less expensive option than PG, and your son would get a lot more quality ABs during the 2022-2023 school year as compared to reclass or PG. Not an ideal match for his academics, but from what you’ve described he may be ok with that.
My kid went from RHP to C to 1B during his baseball years, all because of injuries. But he still played four years of D3 baseball and I know he loved it. Many, many people on this forum have lived through injury periods with our kids (it’s the reason I found this forum almost 10 years ago). Your son’s story hasn’t been written yet, but trust that he will write it. Good luck!