Skip to main content

Reply to "Measureables Needed for Third Basemen... (?)"

In my opinion, the metrics that a CIF needs to get interest is 90+ exit velo, 85+ IF velo and 7.2 60 time (definitely for a LHH maybe for a righty).  Even if your son attains these metrics then there is the subjectivity of the coach, scout or showcase reviewer.  

Case in point, at the PBR event my son did he had a HS teammate who was there too (same grade).  My son showed as a (C/P) and his teammate at SS.   Son put up a 73 mph catcher velocity (which is usually the lowest of all recorded velo’s), 85 exit velo and 7.8 60.  His teammate put up a 73 IF velo, 81 exit and 7.3 60.  Guess who was selected best of showcase and got an invite to the Underclass Games event, his teammate.  Maybe it was because he is a little taller, LHH, passes the eye test or something else.  

What I have learned so far in the journey is that you can put up better numbers than other players (metrics/stats) and get little or no love based upon other factors (eye test, athleticism, size or something else) that you have ZERO control over.  However, you need to showcase by spring to get verified metrics and video to pass along to college coaches in your intro emails. 

As for showcase, I would do PBR vs PG to save some money.