Skip to main content

Reply to "Medial Epicondylitis (12 year old!)"

younggun posted:

GOBLUE, I'm a dentist not a physician. My remarks are from years of experience with my son that just underwent TJ surgery as a college freshman. I have read and learned more about the elbow than anyone should. So take my advice with the knowledge that I am not an orthopod. 

Ditto what he said.

My 2016 had medial epicondylitis as a 12-year-old.  Later learned that he suffered a mild avulsion of the growth plate.  And like YoungGun, he is now in his freshman year of college rehabbing from TJ two weeks ago, and I have spent entirely too much time the last few weeks researching UCL injury and wondering how we could have avoided it.

The precursor correlation your doctor spoke of is this: The same valgus stress that causes ME in pre-pubescents get transferred to the UCL when the growth plates fuse.  Doesn't necessarily mean that TJ is a certainty.  A lot of variables involved, but it could maybe possibly indicate that your son might possibly maybe more susceptible to UCL injury later... maybe.

But FWIW - Dr. Cain at Andrews Center in Birmingham told us that they see kids having TJ that never had ME, kids that had ME that never have TJ, and haven't seen any positive correlation between the two.  To him, the only risk factor that really matters is "throws hard."