Skip to main content

Reply to "Medical Question I Forgot To Ask"

Good post!
Most universities charge you a medical fee. If your student (athletic or non athletic) becomes ill anytime of the day or night, they can go to the health center, free of charge. My son uses the team doctor and gets all of his medications for no charge. I am to assume the medical fees cover this.
It is also mandatory at sons school for the student to carry additional hospitalization. Most athletic programs are secondary insurance, they will pay whatever private insurance does not.

I found something interesting out a few years ago. Since my son is living off campus and has a legal address in the state, it was cheaper to insure him through the Blue Cross/Blue Shield as a 19 year old than on my insurance as a dependent here in FL. It is strictly a doctor/hospitalization policy, no pharmacy, which he didn't need anyway. This tip was given to me by the head trainer at his school. It was very inexpensive for a 19 year old. I also learned that scholarship students can receive glasses and contacts for FREE. Dental insurance is not mandatory, the school will pick up the tab for injury.
And never consider those student policies you hear about, most do NOT cover injuries in sports.

Coach Merc brings up a great point, you could ask if they could be waived. I am sure each school has their own policy regarding that and what they cover.

Ahhhh yes, one of the many fees you will see on the bill. Eek
Last edited by TPM