Skip to main content

Reply to "Memphis Area?"

Our two sons have, at various times, lived in Memphis while going to college.

Like any other big city a person must be wary and watchful in Memphis. And just like other big cities, if you're looking for trouble it will find you first.

I like Memphis, but it is different from other big cities that I am familiar with in regard to where the bad (read dangerous) sections are and how easily they are to identify. In most big cities the high crime areas are rather distinct and you know when to be cautious. This is true for Memphis as well, clearly there are parts of Memphis where caution is necessary.

But Memphis, in my opinion, is not like other big cities in that there are many smaller sections of the city where caution and concern are needed by both residents and visitors alike. Memphis is almost like a checkerboard...one block is deemed safe while the next block isn't. The transition from wealthy neighborhoods to poor neighborhoods is very abrupt.

Having spent a quarter century in the Chicago area after living in more rural areas I now have a good sense for when caution is necessary. In both Chicago and in Memphis I don't shy away from traveling to any part of the city.

And Nashville? Sorry. I haven't spent any time there.

I hope this helps you quillgirl.

Last edited by gotwood4sale