Skip to main content

Reply to "Mental health issues with college athletes"

@MrBumstead posted:

Even if we assume that is the case, the wording is such that it would be easy to misinterpret it as applying to mental health issues - especially the quoted part at the end.

That's one of the insidious aspects of this. The get over it/fight through it/find a way mindset is necessary for overcoming difficult circumstances in sports and in life. But it aggravates and exacerbates legitimate mental health issues.

And it's really, really difficult for some to distinguish which one they are facing. So when a kid struggling with anxiety or depression reads or is told something like that quote, they're likely to do exactly the opposite of what they really need to do.

Again, I qualified my comments based on the assumption that Cevette was not addressing how to deal with a mental health issue. And I don’t believe that he was. IMO it’s a reach to think that he may have been. Based on other comments I have seen by him he appears to be a pretty responsible guy. In any event this subject underscores the importance of kids talking to friends and adults (other than coaches) in order to get a broader perspective on the issues they face.