Skip to main content

Reply to "Mental help for parent"

Daddycougar - what a great post.  I think being humble is one of the greatest assets to have because baseball is the most humbling of all sports.  I can tell from your post your son has a great role model to learn from.

Based purely on what you've written, I suspect that your son has the talent to play in college somewhere.  You've seen enough to know that he can do some things you haven't seen other kids do.  Recruiting requires two things - decent talent plus exposure.  Encourage his love of the game and encourage him to continue to develop all his tools.  Assuming he has developed his skills as much as possible, then he needs to find one coach who loves him.  That may be at the D1 level, D2, D3, JUCO, or NAIA level.  The way you find out what level he is at is get him in front of as many coaches as he can.  If he is competing against mostly D1 level players such as at a PG event for example, have him evaluate himself when he competes.  Do all the other kids seem way beyond his level, or does he feel he can compete?  Use your own eyes as well to formulate evaluations when he competes.  If at some other event (e.g., D2/D3 college camp) see how he competes at these events.  Eventually, if he performs well at enough events he'll start to get feedback from coaches.  He'll know at what level based on the respective feedback.  I fully agree with infielddad, he may be a D1 player but his best fit (e.g., academics, baseball) might be somewhere else.  The good thing is you have plenty of time to develop and find that one coach (or multiple coaches) who love him.  Best of luck in the future!