Skip to main content

Reply to "Mental scoring"

@JucoDad posted:

Balls that are grossly miss read in the outfield has always been a strange one for me. I think you have it right, it's a triple in my book - unless I'm the pitcher's dad...

Thanks. I have a hard time with this too.  Until reading some of the older posts, I never realized it’s really not an error if the player makes a mental mistake and doesn’t attempt to put out the player.  Like in my question, I would’ve normally asked myself if an average fielder would have been able to track and catch a routine fly ball.  I suppose the rules are actually making the assumption that the player is skilled enough to do something routine 99% of the time with the other 1% being errors - not that you have a terrible player in OF. It’s the terrible player scenario that gives me the most problems when scoring 😁

my son’s youth coach used to use the ‘touch the glove’ rule to make it easier on the scoring.  The stats were meaningless, but it at least drew a line and probably stopped a lot of parents from bickering.  Needless to say, there were always the same few parents questioning calls - usually Reached on Errors they thought should be hits.  

I’ll admit that I’ve learned a lot reading this Subforum.  I’m working from the end gradually. And there were a lot of calls I would’ve got wrong because I didn’t know how the rule applied.