Skip to main content

Reply to "Mental scoring"

@PitchingFan posted:

The frustrating part is when your son is a college pitcher and you get a former infielder as a stats guy and they count hard hit balls that hit the glove as hits.  Mine is if you are playing D1 baseball it can be launched out of a cannon and it should be caught if it hits the glove in the infield.  Or when 2 fielders watch a ball fall between them because no one called it and it counts as a hit.  Or a fielder plays a shift too much and it is hit right where he should have been.

You may not like it, but I'm going to have to side with the former infielder stats guy on this one.... 105 at your ankles is no longer a "routine" grounder. Now I agree that most D1 guys turn those into outs (they are really good after all), but just because it hit your glove doesn't automatically make it an error. Balls being "launched out of a cannon" is a pitching issue, not a fielding problem.

The balls that drop and shifts..... we agree on that one. Somebody needs to get an error. Heck, I don't care.. make a new rule and give it to the coach.