Skip to main content

Reply to "Metrics / Data"

So thought I would revisit this after I was able to get some numbers on my guys in a few areas.  Honestly, it validates my previous thought that we need to get stronger overall in an athletic setting.  We worked out for 3 weeks before measuring anything.  Showed them proper techniques and form.

On the 60 yard sprint we di/ d 3 runs and took an average.  They got about 2 minutes between sprints but they had to run against themselves because I was the only one down there.

We told them the average was 7.5 and our average was 8.5.  Slowest average was 10.4 and fastest was 7.2.  Also, had a 9.8 and 10.0 to go along with the 10.5 so those three kids are really hurting the average (I haven't had time to filter them out)

On the home to first we did 3 runs and took an average.  They got about minute and a half between sprints and ran against themselves again.

Told them the average was 4.5 RH / 4.4 for LH.  Our average was 4.5.  Slowest was 5.6 and fastest was 3.9 (LH).  It looks like the three anomalies from above are closer to the norm here than above which is interesting.

Next we tested IF velo.  I set up some cones at short and started everyone there to try and create some consistency in production.  We gave them 3 groundballs and went back to back to back.

Told them the average was 70 MPH.  Our average was 59.  Slowest was 28 MPH (his third throw didn't even register on the pocket radar so I put his second throw in for his third as well).  Our fastest was 74 but had 3 kids sit out from sore arms and they have our better arms.

Last thing we measured was velo off tee.  I gave them time to do some front toss, tee work before getting into my cage.  I gave them two swings then measured the last 3 to create an average.

Told them JV average was 80 MPH and varsity was 85 MPH.  Our average was 64.  Slowest was 47 and fastest was 82.  Once again I think my 3 kids who were the anomalies above pulled the average down significantly again.

My overall thoughts are I am glad I did this but it is absolutely in no way super scientific.  I told the guys there are problems with everything in comparison to going someplace to get this done professionally.  All running would be timed with a laser instead of me holding a stopwatch and various other things.  I told them nobody would ever see these numbers but me and them so don't worry about a bad day meaning you can't play HS or the next level.  These are numbers where we need to improve upon in about 5 weeks before we enter a dead period.  Another problem is comparing a 14 / 15 to a 17 / 18 year old isn't fair due to maturity.  Last thing I said is that these numbers aren't going to be the reason someone gets cut in February.  It might be part of the thought process but not the deciding factor.

One thing I believe I am going to do differently is set some standards because some of them started trying to get a number vs doing things smoothly / easily and seeing where they were.  For example on the throwing I won't count an attempt if it's too high or in the dirt.  On the tee if they don't hit a nice line drive back up the middle then I won't count it.

Like I said I'm glad I did it because I think it justifies my concerns we are too weak.  These aren't any type of indicator that someone is good or bad but can show areas where improvements can be made to better themselves.  While my 3 anomalies skill level is obviously not very good and are worthy of being cut in that alone based on my eye of being a coach for almost 30 years I now have data that proves they are well below the average we set.  If they can show significant improvement by Feb then maybe we need to revisit whether we keep them or not.  But these numbers can give them an idea of where they are and where they need to be.  Who knows I may keep them based on improvement and work ethic although they are still below our averages.

At this point I open it up to you guys to nitpick what / how I did things because I want to learn how to use this tool to make us better.