Skip to main content

Reply to "Miami Pace"

Posted on Sat, May. 01, 2004

PACE BASEBALL

Argument led to Gonzalez's dismissal

Gio and Max Gonzalez's former teammates said frustration over Max's status as a reserve player ultimately led to the brothers' dismissal.

BY ANDRE C. FERNANDEZ

acfernandez@herald.com

A day after star pitcher Gio Gonzalez and his brother, reserve outfielder Max Gonzalez, were dismissed from the Pace baseball team for violating a team rule, two former teammates said an argument following Thursday night's win over Florida Christian led to the players' dismissal.

''After the game, bad things happened [in the clubhouse],'' Pace captain Jose Jimenez said Friday. ``Coach [Tom Duffin] had been hearing [negative] stuff all season long. After the game, Gio and his brother blew up in front of the whole team. So Coach told them to get out. I know Gio didn't mean a lot of the things he said.''

The loss is a major blow for Pace (24-1), the top-ranked team in the nation, according to Baseball America. Gio, who led Hialeah to two state titles before transferring last summer, is considered a first-round draft prospect. He also has a scholarship to the University of Miami if he decides to postpone his pro career.

However, Max's lack of playing time was an issue at Hialeah, according to T-Breds coach Carlos Marti, and it became an issue at Pace, according to Jimenez and others.

But in a brief phone conversation on Friday, Gio and Max's father, Max Gonzalez Sr., said he was not sure why his sons had been thrown off the team.

''I still haven't been told exactly what rule they broke,'' he said.

`TOUGH DECISION'

Duffin declined to elaborate on the reason, but he did defend the decision.

''Anyone in their right mind knows I would be crazy to dismiss such a talented player as Gio if he wouldn't have broken a rule,'' he said. ``I had to make a tough decision, and the school backed me up completely.

``All my players know the rules when they sign up to play for the school.''

Max Gonzalez Sr. expressed disappointment over the dismissals and what led to them.

''When my sons first went there last year, I thought now they would both get a chance to play,'' he said. ``But Max never started any of their games this season.''

Jimenez, however, said Max started the season in left field but was demoted to a backup role because he wasn't producing.

Hialeah coach Marti said Max's playing time was a key factor in Max and his brother leaving the T-Breds program for Pace.

''People thought we had lost Gio because [Pace's] program was in better shape,'' Marti said. ``When Gio was here, his brother got him into trouble.

``There was an incident two years ago in which Max was suspended after he told off one of our assistant coaches. Gio might have taken that personally. He sat out the next game. I think he was trying to send a message.''

Marti said there was a similar incident last season, a week before Gio led the T-Breds to their third consecutive state Final Four. Marti said Max was kicked off the team, resulting in Gio's transfer to Pace at season's end.

Max was not available for comment. Gio declined to comment.

Thursday's news sent shock waves locally as well as nationally. But UM coach Jim Morris said he doesn't expect the news to affect his program.

''I'd be surprised if he ends up playing at the college level because he most likely will be picked in the first round,'' said Morris of Gio, who was 5-0 this season with a 0.93 ERA and 81 strikeouts in 37 innings.

PLAYOFFS NEXT

With Pace set to open the district playoffs on Tuesday against Archbishop McCarthy, Gonzalez's former teammates are hoping it doesn't become a distraction.

''To tell you the truth, it is going to affect us because it is a loss,'' Pace right fielder Christian Marrero said. ``I feel bad for [Gio] and the team. But we still feel we've got three solid pitchers, and we don't plan on quitting.''

READY FOR DRAFT

Meanwhile, Gio will now prepare for the draft. A Major League Baseball scout, who spoke on the condition his name not be used, said Gio's dismissal could hurt his draft status.

''If it is close between Gio and another player and the other player has a normal situation, it could potentially cost him,'' the scout said. ``I talked to Gio's advisors today, and they are concerned.''

The scout, however, added that Gio has had a ''phenomenal'' season and is still a good bet to be drafted high.

''This year's draft is heavy with right-handed pitchers,'' he said. ``They aren't many guys like Gio. He is the highest rated [prep] left-handed pitcher in the nation.

``As far as what he can do with a baseball on the mound, he's done everything to help himself this year. He's had maybe 10 starts, and each time out there were a minimum of 15 scouts and as many as 55 or 60, including all the heavyweights. Some kids would [break] with so much pressure, but not Gio.''