Skip to main content

Reply to "Middle Infield side-fielding technique"

you guys are complicating it. I played ss in college, scouted 15 years, coached five years HS and JUCO in south florida and its obvious many of you have never played the position. Ozzie Smith preaches to catch the ball on the left instep. Also says stay behind the ball. Typically this pertains to throwing to get into the proper throwing position but also can be used in fielding. i know most of you teach to get your weight on the balls of your feet. I t meerly depends on the path of the ball. Its about balance. Not to much weight forward, backward or sideward. I agreee sometimes fielding a ball in front of your can handcuff you but thats usually due to a bad hop or a missplay. usually the later. with proper balance you may have to lay out and cross over and go lateral. at times to get in even quicker throwing position you can backhand a ball right at you, fingers down, throwing hand under glove for immediate transition to your throwing hand. the old addage get if front of the ball is not incorrect except that kids don't have proper hand or footwork. bad reps form bad habits. remember left instep if you can, go right to the ball when you can, circle the ball at times (slow hit ball to the backhand). it all depends on the situation, the complexity of the play, and if the fielder needs to get into throwing and fielding position at the same time to speed up the play.