Skip to main content

Reply to "Midlothian advances to title game with 9-2 win over Sumter, SC"

"Elbow soreness"? You are too kind. This morning's paper has a photo of Edwards doubled over on the field in pain after he threw a slider that put him over the top.

This is a kid who's already survived the VMI Rat Line. For him to hit the ground in pain, you know it was not some minor deal.

This should have been the feel good story of the year for local baseball. Hopefully it has not ended in tragedy. If you read the full article, it is a stunning example of a coach overusing pitchers in an effort to win. The coach sounds like a nice guy but he had no business using any of the first three pitchers he threw in that game. The first two of them had to ask to be taken out. The third one is on his way to the doctor. Bear in mind it was his turn to start but he didn't because they already knew his arm was sore. If he wasn't healthy enough to start, he wasn't healthy enough to enter in the 4th inning, either.

You can't just ask the kids how they feel. They will always want to go, and they will always feel they must tough it out for the team. And they always think they are indestructable. But they aren't.

To read how much these kids had pitched and then to see that the coach knew they were in pain and still put them out there just makes my jaw scrape the floor.

I still haven't figured out how to copy links into this site, but you can go to www.timesdispatch.com and click on the sports section and find the full article.

The coach was quoted, "My God, I hope nothing serious is happening because nothing is worth his future." A fine sentiment expressed too late. I just pray there are no long term consequences for Matt Edwards, who is one heckuva pitcher, player, and young man.