Skip to main content

Reply to "Milb can't afford to pay players minimum wage"

The thing that makes this issue so complicated is trying to compare it to other industries.

Every person working outside of baseball and other sports has a job that in one way or another creates revenue for that company.  In baseball that minor league player that didn't receive a decent signing bonus produces absolutely zero revenue to his MLB organization.  You could say, in some cases, he does produce revenue for his minor league team/owner.  However MLB owners receive revenue by having MLB players and those ready to take their place as MLB players.  All of those type players are paid extremely well.

I'm not sure I agree with everyone on the long term commitment.  If someone proves to be a valuable asset to an organization, he moves up and makes more money.  If he is not a valuable asset, and had the freedom to go to nother organization, what would he be worth to that organization.  He is either a MLB prospect or he isn't, no matter what organization it is.  Those that are not considered MLB prospects end up getting released at some point.  At that time they become free agents and if some club likes them they can sign them.

I'm all for minor league players making more money.  But I get confused when people start talking about minimum wage and fast food.  I get confused when I hear they should be paid to stay in shape in the off season.  And the most confusing thing to me is this... They all know how much money they will get.  No one has to do it!  Yet, every year we get many calls even from graduated college seniors seeing if we can help them get this horrible low paying job.

Baseball like many things is in the entertainment business.  So are most other sports!  There are former college football players playing in leagues and making less than minor league baseball players while they risk their long term health.  How much do the bottom players make in tennis, golf, or any sport.  How much do aspiring actors, models, comedians, sports announcers, etc., make when they first start.  I know of a young man that graduated from college (Journalism) and he has a great voice.  After graduating four years ago, he still picks up a few radio play by play jobs and lives in poverty.  He still dreams about hitting it big, getting that big break.

It's too bad, that many of the professions above don't make much money when they first start out.  They all dream about hitting it big, defying the odds.  I applaud every single one of them.

All that said, if law suits can change the system in place without limiting the number of opportunities for young baseball players, I am all for it!  If the system doesn't change, everyone has a choice, and I certainly am all for that as well.  In other words it is playing baseball not flipping burgers or doing construction. If you aren't making any money and you find you don't like the conditions it's simple... Go do something else.

BTW, it's not just the players, how many of you dads out there would just love to see your son have the chance to get one of these low paying minor league baseball jobs?

I know, it still doesn't make things right.  I hope that day comes when things improve.

Last edited by PGStaff