Skip to main content

Reply to "Milb can't afford to pay players minimum wage"

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

There are players (employees) that aren't considered top prospects yet they stick around and move up.  They are considered valuable because they are steady, dependable, hard working, and a good influence on those considered valuable prospects.  These are not the type to file law suits or create problems.  They are most often called organizational players.

Not really strange that many of these types end up in baseball for life.  They become coaches, scouts, managers, etc.  

BTW, being under paid is not exclusive to professional baseball.  There are many small college coaches, even some young Major college coaches, that aren't getting minimum wage once you count up all the hours. Nobody is lobbying on their behalf.  Many have families and they would be listed in the poverty category.  They do it because they love the game and hope to build a good career out of their effort. Being a player is just the beginning, most everyone starts there.  Players are only one segment, though a critical one, of the baseball industry.

I remember reading somewhere that Kevin O'Sullivans salary was the lowest of the SEC programs at 300k. This guy works harder than anyone I know.  I would imagine if you took the hours he worked at his job he would be at poverty level.  I know it is a lot more he made at Clemson as second in command, but let's say he obviously paid his dues!

I don't want to sound mean either, but in these discussions sometimes I get the impression that people expect some type of entitlement when their players become professionals.  You don't have the players here complaining about low wages. 

I taught for many years and my salary never made up for the hours I put into it year after year. I was off for two months during the summer and not paid unless I worked summer school or another job. I could not collect unemployment either. I never felt entitled as some do today. It was my job and I had an opportunity to leave if not happy (which I did) and never sued anyone.  My husband and I both taught and made 17k first year we were married.

We had the time of our lives and we survived!

Low wages is not just found on the milb level.

Last edited by TPM