Skip to main content

Reply to "Milb can't afford to pay players minimum wage"

No skin in the game here either, but give 2017 another 20 mph and watch out.  Give him only 10 mph more and who knows - he might be a guy used to throw BP.

I get the impression that MiLB clubs are generally well liked in the community and folks would prefer that their team not be eliminated altogether.  On the flip side, no one can quite explain how MLB/MiLB gets away with the low base salaries (i.e. $1,100/mo).  I'm granting everyone who wants one a one-time magic wand that can be used solely to construct a new compensation program in the MiLB.  Given that wand, what is your solution to maintaining the current team structures while getting MiLB players a wage that conforms to existing laws (wand cannot make legislative changes).

Alternatively, has anyone heard of any interesting solutions proposed by the industry?  I suspect that the lawsuit claims are maxed out (probably argue that an MiLB player is on call 24/7 and should get paid close to $100K/yr when accouting for the 6,000 hours of overtime).  Any comments on what the logic was back in the 70's when the minimums got set (they probably looked like a decent amount at that point in time) and why MLB simply let them stay essentially flat for 40 years (albeit with a small increase)? 

Specific question about bonuses - I was told that bonuses used to be payable over two years but that was changed back to being paid in one lump sum.  What drove this change?  Did it have to do with big time bonuses paid on major leauge contracts?  A related question - how does the lawsuit treat bonuses?  Suppose players were to win - would some guy that got a $50k bonus have the bonus pro-rated over the assumed hours (and thus have him exceed minimum wage) or are bonuses carved out and not considered compensation (kind of like tips - although employer is apparently supposed to make sure tip income gets the employee to the minimum wage or is responsible for grossing up their pay - and summarily firing them for poor service). 

I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on fairness as well as everyone's opinions on governing law (and opinions on what certain laws require) but am interested people's opinions in how this matter is going to get settled.  Realize it will drag out for some time but I do think discussing possible solutions might be interesting.  Please share your thoughts if you would like and limit your criticisms of other folks suggestions as I am sure it has already been criticized somewhere in the previous 5 pages..