Skip to main content

Reply to "MiLB - Experimental Rules"

Having officiated games ate levels from 8U - HS, the biggest time suck I see is 2 areas.

1. Time between innings.  At the levels I do - this is on the umpire and not managing the game.  I discuss expectations at pre game.  When the first pitcher delays getting on the field because the catcher isn't ready or coach doesn't warm up while catcher is preparing - and that pitcher gets 1 warm up throw because they are over 1 minute from the last out - they get the message quickly - it doesn't happen again.

2. The batter stepping out.  Again - expectations are discussed at pregame.  The first batter gets a warning - and announced to the team.   "stay in the box - or a strike will be called".   

At youth levels - coaches are calling pitches.    Signs every pitch.  They are over coaching the game and that eats away at the time.  It also retards the development of the kids to understand / learn the game.  Players don't think any longer - they just listen to the coaches and do.

At the MLB level - the time between innings is dictated by TV.  2 mins for regional  230 for national broadcasts (I think).  In a 9 inning game - that's 18 changes of sides - that's easily 15-20 minutes if they cut it down to 1 minute.

Revenue can be offset by 10 second spots between outs.  I don't buy the argument that it can't be done.   Soccer broadcasts 45 minutes with no commercials and they make a ton of money at the top levels.  The clubs also support a robust minor league development system.

Also at MLB level, every time a ball hits the dirt or is put in play - time is called and a new ball put in play.  those are only 5 seconds - but over the course of a game - add up to another 10 mins or so.   

Just one person's observation.