Skip to main content

Reply to "MiLB - Experimental Rules"

My issues with MLB has more to do with the way the game is played than the time it takes to play. I can watch a long, interesting game.. But analytics have shown every hitter should swing for the fences every pitch. Home runs are cool. All the strikeouts aren’t. There isn’t enough action in baseball games anymore. Yesterday, the Sux got five runs on five hits in twenty-nine at bats. All five runs came on homers. Fortunately, I was watching hockey instead.

Most MLB hitters lack the ability to hit behind runners or bunt when it’s needed. Too many hitters would rather ground out to right field than bunt the ball down third with no one to the left of shortstop. Even players who hit forty homers get a different result in six hundred other plate appearances. In most circumstances why not take the free hit leading off an inning?

I realize pitcher’s locate pitches based on the defense. But complete inability to drop a bunt for a free hit is just lack of desire to practice bunting. I have to guess the analytics state don’t waste time bunting.