Skip to main content

Reply to "milb wages may be exempted by lobbyists"

luv baseball posted:
old_school posted:

salary for MLB and MiLB aren't comparable - there is no demand for MiLB from advertisers, fans, merchandise. If there were demand the price would rise...maybe not fast enough for some, maybe not high enough for others but it would still rise.

The sad truth nobody cares who the 3rd outfielder is at most any random MiLB game. It is just irrelevant, they are holding places for others. Nobody in the entire world cares except a very small percentage of people who are the 1% Reference Jamie Moyer, Chris Coste, Eric Kratz...there are others who have cashed in. The rest hopefully had a plan B...you know kinda like the college kids who didn't get drafted.

If you want the chance to share the dream and the potential huge $'s you prove it for virtually nothing on the farm. It isn't really different then life outside of public corporations, you want big money you make the personal guarantees to the banks and investors, the winners win huge, the losers walk with nothing.

School 

To say that nobody cares about the 3rd outfielder at any given league is undoubtedly true.  It is also true about almost all of the 125 million other people in the US workforce doing whatever job it is that they are doing.  Yet we have decided as a society to have minimum wage laws which everyone knows will not make anyone rich by any standard in the US.  But you can get a starting job and claw your way up the chain to better paying jobs.   No one is talking about paying them $100k or anything like that.  $7.50 and hour plus OT just like any other job.

Argue the merits of such things (probably a different web site) but that 3rd outfielder is working in the US and  should be subject to the laws of the workforce and not having our government making a special cutout in the labor law to his detriment.  I don't care what his job entails - he is working and should be paid.  

C'mon think about it.  Let's have the government focus on the national debt for example rather sticking their beak into baseball so they can raise some campaign money from ownership.   This one isn't that hard - it really isn't.

actually I can totally support the free market concept. It is extremly rare I would want the government anywhere in my life.

I am not sure baseball players are employees, I think most of them are independent contractors. Assuming they are contractors aren't they essentially self employed and have no minimum wages?

The key concept here is nobody wants to pay them and there are thousands of them every year who want the job...it is a bad business model. As our friend from sharktank Kevin O'Leary likes to tell people. It is a bad idea, take it out back and shoot it....

Example son of friend of family, I played ball with his father for years, I threw the kid a tremendous amount of BP as young child, I would love to see him succeed. The boy was HS stud, D2 college stud, drafted in 30 something round, played rookie ball, A ball short season 2 years gets released...works out, gets independent offer does well, gets picked up again by MLB team, back in A ball....he is now 26 - should be applauded for chasing the dream? Should he take a reality break and decide what he wants to do with his life? He is one of thousands...this is why he has no tangible value and nor do any of the others.

IMO the ship has sailed, son you need to move on but it is what it is.

Last edited by old_school