Skip to main content

Reply to "milb wages may be exempted by lobbyists"

real green posted:
luv baseball posted:
old_school posted:

So the moral of the story is stay in school unless you are drafted in the 5th round or higher. If you graduate and don't want to play for shitty money go get a job somewhere else. If you studied hard that shouldn't be to tough but if you didn't Walmart pays better then single A!!

I guess kids coming of college should listen what the recruiters told them years before, grades matter, apparently more kids need to study then to worry about making the Bigs.

Honestly this thread is about as silly as thinking the minimum wage should be 15.00 - the minors are a stepping stone not a career. If they become a career you are doing something wrong.

Pursuing your dream is every American's birthright just as getting paid according to the law is.  Sarcastic moralizing aside the big shot manager at Walmart now earning $100k that started out stocking shelves got paid....da da da ….minimum wage when he stocked the shelves.  What the minimum wage should be is a different discussion, it exists and isn't going away.

And you are right this whole thing is silly because it is billionaires buying off our representatives to avoid paying a few extra dollars to their labor that is the proximate cause of much of the political angst in our country.  Our government isn't working correctly and this is a perfect example of what is wrong.  We  know this junk happens on all kinds of things we never really know about but this string is highlighting one thing that people on this site can grab ahold of.

What is not silly is that we have discussed this issue in a pretty rational and respectful way ...which is why I enjoy this site over all the others I occasion. 

I get your view - just don't buy the government needs to be spending time writing laws designed to specifically screw baseball players...or anyone else for that matter.  If this kind of stuff in the government stopped I think it would be good for the country.  

The attorneys keep coming after them and losing.  Maybe MLB is trying to shut the door on the attorneys.  I find this similar to ambulance chasers looking at the abundance of the well.  When was the last time an independent baseball league was sued over wages?  They pay less than MiLB... 

Real,

Now you want to introduce Tort Reform?  As they say in Oz...Why didn't you say so before - that is a horse of a different color!

It is fair to say deep pockets doing borderline things will attract sharks which explains the independent leagues getting the free skate.

The Lords of baseball have decided throwing money at Congress is cheaper than paying the players.  So they will exhaust every avenue available to them before doing so.  If they get their exemption they might just pull it off...but if they don't I would expect like the Reserve Clause they will lose in court...eventually.