Skip to main content

Reply to "Minimum velocity for late round draft pick?"

Pitchermom,
We have been visited by ML scouts over the past month and I have to tell you, I don't think they could even answer your question.
My son is 6'3", still growing, 190 and still looks like a baby. His projectability, velocity, variety of pitches and loose arm is what has attracted them. His main obstacle is the fact that he has signed with a top ranked D1. Might give him leverage.
So what I gather is that while he might go 3rd, 4th, 5th round, he may just as well go 20th, 21st, etc. Why? There are soooo many RHP in his class that he needs to have that extra special something (and if anyone can figure that out let me know).
In the later rounds it is possible (so they tell me) to have all the above attributes with room to move up on velocity. Scouts know that a player that may never make the BIG SHOW might jump at a chance (and go for the later rounds) to play pro ball on a smaller scale and take them up on the scholarship program later on.
You just never know until the day of the draft.
If your son has collge set and wants to go into the draft, by all means try to have him seen before it happens.