Skip to main content

Reply to "Minimum Velocity to pitch in college"

JMMS posted:

I'm seeing a lot of shifting in the college game now. I feel that locating your pitches is the most important thing to work on for young pitcher. Is it really impressive to watch a kid throw 93+ only look a the box score and see 45+ pitches after first 2 innings.   

The thing is, there are more & more high school kids every year who can do both (throw 93 and locate).

I'm a huge fan of Greg Maddux.  The pitchers who can really move the ball are fun to watch.  The thing is, the lower velocity pitcher has way less margin for error.  If he gets in a game where his secondary pitches aren't working, and his fastball ain't moving, he is gonna get flat out hammered.  While it is true that great hitters can sit on any velocity and crush it, the higher velocity pitcher has a better chance of success when he doesn't have his best stuff.  For that reason, and many more, the higher velocity pitcher will get more opportunities.

We all have to remember, great college coaches didn't get to their position in their career by accident.  They feel confident they can teach a 90's guy to hide the ball better and to develop better secondary pitches.  They feel confident they can teach a 6.5 runner how to hit.  Etc etc