Skip to main content

Reply to "Minimum Velocity to pitch in college"

Teaching Elder posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

I don't really understand the disconnect.  If you top out at 85-86 is will be exceedingly difficult to be recruited to a Power 5 team.  Because you won't cruise in games at your top velocity.  It doesn't matter what the gun says at games.  At D1 bigtime games you are seeing guys who can throw 88-92 who cruise at lower speeds. 

Well, listen to people on here and they will tell you that cruising 85-86 makes a guy a chump.   Some might tell you that it would be exceedingly hard to get recruited to a Power 5 team cruising 85-86.   My point is that I am not so sure the know it alls know all they would like to  think they know.

Don't get me wrong, throwing 90+ is great, especially with command and good off speed.   I just have seen that it is not an absolute for pitching SEC baseball.   Not by a long shot.

I am at the D2 JuCo World Series in Enid, Oklahoma watching a game right now. The starting pitcher for NOC -Enid has been sitting 89-91 the entire game and has hit 93 at least a handful of times.  He is a freshman and is NOC-Enid’s #3 starter.  As a RHP that is pretty much what it takes to be a guy that matters in the SEC.  There are plenty of really good hard throwing RHPs.  They are all over the baseball landscape. The “know it alls” that you refer to are us guys that scout, recruit, and coach these hard throwing kids - while you watch TV.  So you can be as impressed as you want to be with 85-86 mph.  And there is a place where that plays just fine - it’s called D3.