Skip to main content

Reply to "Minnesota Gophers"

@adbono posted:

Great question Bob. I would tell him the same thing I tell all the guys I work with.    1) understand the mechanics of how you throw the ball well enough to self diagnose and be your own pitching coach. 2) get to the point where you can throw 3 different pitches for a strike in any count.     3) understand your strengths and your limitations. Know what is your out pitch.   4) be confident but not arrogant. Believe in yourself always - even in tough times.     5) pay attention to detail. Learn to hold runners. Develop a good slide step. Work 50% of your bullpens out of the stretch.     6) work on your change up with the goal of making it into your best pitch.                  7) watch the best senior pitchers and do what they do. They can teach you how to prepare for success - on the field and off. 8) take care of business in the classroom and ask for a tutor if one is necessary.       9) work on fastball command and learn to hit 2 spots anytime you want to : low & away and in under the hands.                       10) be open minded and willing to learn.    11) be a good teammate and be respectful 12) be on time for class & team functions 13) work hard on fielding your position.    14) call me if you have any problems           15) have fun and understand how fortunate you are for this opportunity.       16) try to stay on an even emotional keel. Don’t get too high and don’t get too low.  17) take responsibility for your own career 18) take care of your body and your arm. 19) lift weights sensibly - you are a baseball player and not a body builder      20) sit next to your pitching coach when you aren’t pitching. Watch how pitches are called and learn the art of setting up hitters. 
  That’s a good start just off the top of my head. 

Really good information!