Skip to main content

Reply to "Minor League Poverty"

Originally Posted by PGStaff:
Bottom line, if young men wouldn't be lined up for the opportunity, maybe the pay scale would go up.  But there are many that would play for no money at all.  I doubt if there are very many willing to work in fast food restaurants for no money.

So you're saying or at least implying, that there are no circumstances outside of professional sports where young people with ambitions of succeeding in a highly competitive field would, in conflict with their own financial best interest, willingly work for either low pay, or no pay, or at least less than legal minimum wage. This is not true. I have seen exactly the opposite happen in two industries. I'm sure it happens in others as well.  It's easy to say, fine, these are jobs that anybody would be lucky to have, so it doesn't matter that they pay less than minimum wage.  I get that. But some people said the  same thing about low wages for picking turnips in the 1930's in California's Central Valley.  "Oh, well, they're lucky to have that job. If they don't like the pay somebody else will take it."  Tom Joad had a different take on that.

Last edited by JCG