Skip to main content

Reply to "Minor League Poverty"

Originally Posted by TPM:

I am not a scout but I will give my opinion.
A college senior unless one of the top in the country would be signing for very little money. Chances are he would be one of the oldest on his team.
Where do you think at what level he would begin his career?

Aren't ALL the lower round draft choices signed for very little money?  And it doesn't have to be college seniors. I was just using that group as an example of a big pool of players that are not part of the "general population" fan was talking about. Add in the HS seniors and college juniors to the mix and I think if everyone in the last 10+ rounds of bye draft decided not to sign, there would be enough guys to fill those spots. Would every one of those guys be as good as the ones that were actually drafted?  Probably not. But there also may be some guys in there that wind up turning out better than the guys who were originally selected and didn't sign.

I'm just agreeing with the point that you and PG and others have made that there are plenty of guys waiting in the wings to take the spots of guys if they decide not to sign because they don't like the money. And I'm saying that they aren't just kids out of the "general population". A lot of them are pretty good ball players.