Skip to main content

Reply to "Minor League Poverty"

The simple fact is that kids dream their whole lives of getting an opportunity to play professional baseball.  When they are fortunate enough to have been presented with the chance, the majority of them would do so for a plane ticket.  The fact that a certain percentage are given a sum of money that is part and parcel to that dream (a signing bonus), then that's a huge cherry on top to them.  The $1,100 per month they ALL receive (the exact same amount is earned by the back-up bullpen catcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates affiliate in Gulf Coast Rookie League and/or the AAA International League star SS for the Cleveland Indians affiliate in Columbus) - IMPORTANT TO NOTE THEY GET THAT $1,100 ONLY FOR THE TIME THEY ACTUALLY PLAY which further sullies the argument and makes what these kids make appear even worse as a Short Season A- player only gets paid for two and a half months or makes less than $3,000 for being a "professional baseball player" . . . IS OK BY THEM AND THEY LOVE IT!!!!!!!! The game really doesn't start being a business to them until they move up the ranks and see what type of money and opportunity there really is to be garnered were they to be so blessed to beat the odds and make it all the way up the ladder.  The unadulterated bliss, however, these young men feel upon being given their first professional uniform and seeing their names above their own locker in a minor league team's locker room is really all that matters to most of them and not whether or not they were better off financially were they to have forgone the opportunity they've been dreaming about since they picked up a glove and worked for the local State Farm Agent who took advantage of them having been the BMOC in the local small town and parlayed that into some awesome first year commissions for both them individually and the agency as well.  I hear it in my sons' voice . . . I saw it in his teammates eyes and watch as these guys play and know they are considered "pro's".