Skip to main content

Reply to "Minor League Poverty"

This has been a very interesting and perhaps important topic to discuss.  A few disagreements, but not really.  I guess I compare Minor League Poverty to be only slightly better than College Poverty.  And in many ways I see both as a stepping stone to something else. 

Hmmm???  I agree we can see that it's a "stepping stone", which many occupations also have outside of college.  When you has you "compare" them, it seems more like you equate Milb to College?   And in some ways and for some individuals I can see that.  But. . .

Those going to College are still "students" and dependent on family for support (unless they've got a full scholarship or are earning enough on their summer jobs to pay for college).  Those playing in the Milb have decided to start their "professional" life and would like to make it their life's career (not so unlike others in other professions).  When one has a "profession", one shouldn't have to depend on family or charity just to meet minimum basic living needs.  So, while there ARE similarities between College and Milb Poverty, as you suggest, it really shouldn't be so.

From what some other posters have said, a thought comes to mind. . . because things are the way they are and have always been done that way, does that mean we shouldn't try to bring about change make things right?

I think if more and more people start to talk about this and not just sit back and accept "it is what it is", then change for the better can happen.