Skip to main content

Reply to "Minor League Poverty"

Originally Posted by Dad04:

The former player / now lawyer interviewed for the HBO story says he will fight the MiBL seasonal minimum wage exemption in court. That may be successful, raising pay to $1,600+ per month from $1,100 for the lowest levels. That will be the extent of improvements in their pay for this century, though.

Baseball is a meritocracy in theory, but there are so many uncontrollable hurdles, getting blocked, injuries, team control, they need to 40 draft rounds plus hundreds of Latin free agents every year to make it all sort of work..

Wonder what would happen if Goldman, Morgan, Citi, Wells and Bank of America etc. sat around a table and divided up the crop of MBA's from the Ivies, Big 10, & other elite private and State Schools and paid them less than minimum wage and would not let them work at any other banks in the US.

All on the premise that maybe 3 or 5 years from now they can make the salaried ranks and earn $100k for the next 6 years and then and only then go work for who they want to and potentially earn millions.

Personally, I intensely dislike the entire concept of a draft as a method for determining where you must work and how much people must value their services to enter a given profession. I doubt I could ever wear a T shirt that says "Property of XXXXX" It just feels very 17th or 18th century.