Skip to main content

Reply to "Mistake made"

Great question Trevor and great answers and advice by the guys.  I love how this site encourages umpires. No patronizing, just good advice.  With that said, your question (and previous posts) shows that you have the right attitude and an unquenchable thirst to improve.  That is the most important attribute an umpire can have.  I used to loose sleep at night after every game where I felt I made a call that I was not sure about.   Both with rules and judgement calls.  I felt like I would never reach a point where I could get through a game without something happening that I was unprepared to handle correctly.  It is something we all go through and it is the desire to get better that keeps us going.  Just continue to do your best and continue to study both rules and mechanics. Go to as many clinics as you can. There will come a day soon when you will step on the field with the confidence that nothing will happen during a game that you can't handle.  It takes a while but when you get there it makes umpiring one of the most enjoyable things you will ever do.  One of my mentors once told me; "don't be afraid to make a mistake, and if you do, make it big enough where we can fix it."  Be approachable but professional and firm with your on your judgement calls.  My best line on judgement calls is; "Coach I did my best with the call and I got the best look I could.  If I had your angle I might of had it differently, but we have to stay with what I have."  On rules calls, I always get help from my partner to make sure we both have it right to the best of our knowledge. And if something is fixable, we fix it.  It's never fun because the opposing coach is coming out for sure.  But I tell him that I will extend the same professional courtesy to him to make sure we get the calls right.  I've been at it for 15 years now and those situations almost never happens any more.  But when they do, that's how I handle it.