Skip to main content

Reply to "MIT and baseball"

Zoom 2020 posted:

2019&21 Dad, was your 2019 son a pitcher? If so, can you give any advice on what FB velocities the Caltech coach wants to see vs the MIT coach (assuming control is good and kid has good secondary/offspeed).

Also, did either Caltech or MIT coach explicitly say what SAT/ACT scores and GPA they expect for a baseball candidate? I assume they want 800/36 math score or very close to it, but what about the verbal scores? Thanks!

Yes, my son was/is a pitcher. I don't know specifically what velocity each might have as a "floor", but I do know it's lower at Caltech since it's a much smaller school and they are not quite as choosy as MIT with that smaller recruitment pool. Neither school said what academic scores they'd expect - it would be the same scores as for the non-athlete candidate. They put just as much emphasis on verbal as math. Son didn't take the ACT and only took the SAT once and scored near 1600, I wouldn't expect to get into either one with an SAT below 1500 - probably should be 1540 or above. As for grades, GPA should be 4.0 or very close and transcript should show a record of very challenging AP coursework. Caltech was also interested in him showing any STEM interest/work outside school. He did some Physics research with a professor at a local state school, which was noted as a point of interest by Admissions.