Skip to main content

Reply to "Mizzou"

There are a couple there and a couple committed or starting this year.  One has been through transition so he has mixed feelings.  The ones that are starting or committed are about like mine with Tennessee.  Excited for the future and hopeful that the future is what they think it will be.  I think any new coaching staff in the SEC brings an excitement but also anxiety and a hope for the best.  Players who commit to SEC schools know how competitive it is (not trying to be that SEC guy but winning in the SEC is tough).   They hope that the new coaches will fulfill the expectations that they have used during recruiting.  The one who is there was recruited by the other staff and has struggled with playing time because he was not one of the new coaching staff's recruits and like it or not that is a real thing. 

One of the guys going in was recruited by the old staff and decommitted or reconsidered ( I can't remember which officially) his choice at one point when the old staff left but decided Missouri was where he wanted to be after some time with the new staff.  I think the HC knows his stuff and am glad he has made some changes in his staff.  It is tough to make the move from small D1 to SEC and keep your old staff.  All staff are not equal to the challenges of SEC coaching and recruiting.  People do not understand how a coach could not take his dedicated staff from a smaller school to a new school but some coaches are not ready for the jump.  Coaching in the SEC is a different world on the field but mainly in recruiting.  Recruiting at a mid major or small D1 is so different than SEC recruiting in player development and maturity.  I think SEC schools have to look for players who are ready to play because they usually only have them for 3 years due to so many being drafted after junior year so the guidelines of freshmen not playing right away is not always the case in the SEC.  You do not see a lot of Seniors playing in the SEC like you do other teams/conferences. 

A couple of sons' friends have shared their concern of the jump to SEC caliber playing because they did not play the top level tournaments regularly against top level teams.  I think that is why SEC RC's are so adamant about seeing the players they recruit play against top competition regularly.  My son was blessed to play with a full team (Royals Scout Team and Upstate Mavericks) of players that were all P5 guys and mostly SEC.   He was also blessed to pitch against Team Elite, Canes National and American, Team Canada (Blue Jays Scout Team), FTB, East Coast Sox, 5 Star, Team GA, and many others.  He faced on a regular basis the guys he will face the next three years almost every outing during the past 3 summers.  it will also be interesting because his Royals Scout Team teammates that he played with for 2 years are the guys he will play against starting this spring.