Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB and the ruse of "Save America's Pastime""

2017LHPscrewball posted:

There is kind of some perverse hypocrisy going on.  Lots of folks yap about the low (almost non-existent) pay being part of the struggle that makes or breaks these kids.  Heaven forbid, if you had some minor leaguer making upwards of $2,000/mo then they would probably sit around eating bon bons.  But that is not the case.  They make closer to $1,000(in-season) and still eat bon bons (actually ding dongs but they are kind of the same).  I am quite certain all those skills learned to stretch a dollar (how one cooks spaghetti in a microwave) are really useful on the diamond.  I really have no idea how those first round guys with the big bonuses end up learning  all this valuable information (like how to stuff PB&J sandwiches into your uniform pockets without getting any jelly stains).

2020DAD - You are suggesting that economics play a role in player selection.  I'm not talking about getting rich, but rather removing much of the low level hassle that comes with making $5,500/yr for 5 months in-season and whatever amount of time outside the season.  Not saying they should all be making $36K/yr, but don't push people out simply because they don't have anyone to borrow anymore money from.  Double their pay to $11,000/yr and make some of that payable on the front end and the back end of the season.  Very few people of going to stick around making $11K/yr, but at least it would remove most of the hassle factor and maybe let them splurge on that fancy gel pillow they always wanted for the bus ride.

Yeah I hear you.  And I certainly am not against them making more money.  Heck I want to make more money.  I wish everyone could.  If they are able to apply pressure and get some more money good for them.  I will be happy for them.  I just think sometimes it's treated like one of the great injustices of the world. And it's not.  And it's not really a legit job either - no matter how many hours they put in.  It's more of a long job interview.