Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB changes Ortiz ruling from E to H in Darvish near no-hitter"

Originally Posted by JMoff:

The real crux of the matter is the interpretation of "misjudgment". If "misjudgment" means miss judging a fly ball than this play was a hit. If "misjudgment" means throwing to third when a runner is standing there instead of getting the batter at first with two outs, then I understand the inerpretation. In my world, "misjudgment" means we can't drop fly balls at MLB level and not get charged with an "E".

I will continue to live in my world until somebody publishes guidelines that are different than the current OBR's.

Well, the real crux of the matter is that I never score ML games other than for fun and then only by watching them on TV. I pretty much exclusively score HS games now, and the standard is one heck of a lot different. If I were to score an error on every play where a player made some kind of “misjudgment”, I’m pretty sure I’d be scoring at least twice the number of errors I do now.

I honestly don’t know how I’d score a ML game if it was actually my job to do it. But I do know this. There’s a heck of a lot more direction coming down from MLB to the teams and through them to the scorers than us “civilians” ever see.