Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB changes Ortiz ruling from E to H in Darvish near no-hitter"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Originally Posted by JMoff:

The real crux of the matter is the interpretation of "misjudgment". If "misjudgment" means miss judging a fly ball than this play was a hit. If "misjudgment" means throwing to third when a runner is standing there instead of getting the batter at first with two outs, then I understand the inerpretation. In my world, "misjudgment" means we can't drop fly balls at MLB level and not get charged with an "E".

I will continue to live in my world until somebody publishes guidelines that are different than the current OBR's.

Well, the real crux of the matter is that I never score ML games other than for fun and then only by watching them on TV. I pretty much exclusively score HS games now, and the standard is one heck of a lot different. If I were to score an error on every play where a player made some kind of “misjudgment”, I’m pretty sure I’d be scoring at least twice the number of errors I do now.

I honestly don’t know how I’d score a ML game if it was actually my job to do it. But I do know this. There’s a heck of a lot more direction coming down from MLB to the teams and through them to the scorers than us “civilians” ever see.

Most likely nobody reading this forum will ever score a MLB game for record (including me). The issue I have is this play was apparently singled out in training for those that do score MLB games as an example where they need to score errors, then one of their own scores an error and they over turn his call.

I'm thinking this is BS. The scorer should score the games and the administrators need to push paper. Just MHO.