Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Contracts"

CTbballDad posted:
keewart posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Any changes that should be considered are for the mid/low minor leaguer scraping by on $25K/year and delaying his ultimate professional/working career while chasing a dream.  It's those guys who will have long term issues, many of which they'll never over come.

CTbballDad, please tell me where this number came from???  LOL  

Milb teams only pay salaries for the 5 months they play (April-August) , and nothing for spring training.   My calculations come to under ~$6k for my son.  For the year.  (Ok, he got reimbursed for gas to get home since they didn't have to pay for a plane ticket.)  He is hoping to get a ~$50 per month raise this coming year.  (That is $250 total before taxes, folks).

He is not complaining at all and luckily lives a low-maintenance lifestyle.  He is making it work.  Some of the foreign guys even send money "home".

Higher wages in Milb are usually when a player comes down from another level, esp MLB players. 

He is living the dream....it just doesn't pay well  (right now)

Yes, I realize wages are extremely low.  The problem is, if you significantly increase the wages at the MiLB level, economics will take over.  You will see a drop of MiLB players and teams, so the league and MLB can maintain their profits.  A reduction of teams will impact small communities who generate income from having MiLB teams.  Jobs will be lost.  Heck college summer team's may ultimately be impacted, as marginal pro prospects may decide early its not worth chasing the dream, and take an internship instead.

You can tell from my response, I'm not a fan of increasing the minimum wage either, but lets not get political.

Wouldn't it be good if the minors are contracted a little? 90% of the minors players are roster fillers and organisational  depth guys anyway.

I realize some 30th round picks become good mlb players but the odds are very bad. Wouldn't it be good if those players finish the college degree and get a job rather than playing for nothing until they are 27 for a tiny chance to play mlb? 

I mean the conservative guys who are against a minor league raise always say "nobody forces them to play pro ball" so why not make the draft 20 rounds, contract some teams and pay the remaining guys a decent salary?

Also i don't buy the argument higher salary costs jobs. In Germany minimum wage was finally introduced 7-8 years ago and many warned it would cost jobs but it didn't cost any. Maybe an outrageously higy min wage (say like 20+ dollars per hour) would do that but in reality jobs who can get automated or contracted completely will be contracted anyway no matter what the wage is because if you can save 5 dollars per hour you will do that too if you can.

Maybe some scouts kids won't get signed anymore with higher wages but generally orgs will have as many minor leaguers as they think they need to produce cheap majors talent. If they decide that number is 150 instead of 200 they should try it and see if their farm is still competetive imo.