Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Draft eligibility"

@Texas posted:

I am not an expert on this at all, but have experience with it. When my son was draft eligible as a college junior, at the request of a scout he registered in the MLB Prospect Link portal and filled out a couple of teams' questionnaires, but on draft day his name did not appear on the MLB Draft Tracker list. Not even in the Undrafted category. During his senior year he talked with a number of scouts and prior to the draft his name was in the MLB Draft Tracker list. He was a third day prospect (not first 10 rounds). Similar to the way a high school player 'knows' when he is being recruited by a college coach, my son knew with a high degree of certainty that some MLB organizations were interested after his senior year.

On the other hand, I have heard of others getting drafted by teams they have never spoken to. Those are probably the higher-end prospects. But I'm guessing they were on the MLB tracker list when the draft started.

Just a little clarification: a player cannot register himself in the MLB Prospect Link portal, he must be invited by at least one of the 30 teams. Then they must complete some basic tasks (basic forms and questionnaires specific to MLB) which any team can see. What I don't know is whether a team can see if a player is already in the portal without first inviting that player to join the portal. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes because I know players receive questionnaires from teams that never send them invites to join the portal  (once they are in the portal by accepting at least one invite from a team). But I also know that some teams send invites even though the player has been in the portal for several years--which to me is an indication that a team can just click an "invite player" link without bothering to check whether they can already send a questionnaire without the invite.